ANAMNESIS WEB ESSAYS
History and Purpose For a project of unprecedented ambition and audacity, the Encyclopedia of Diderot and d’Alembert has garnered little attention from scholars of the humanities writing in English.
The 2015 Ciceronian Society Conference at Mount Saint Mary’s University (Emmitsburg, Maryland), March 12th – 14th: We are pleased to announce that John Zmirak, Ph.D., will be our keynote speaker. The Zmirak… Read more »
Godly Republicanism: Puritans, Pilgrims, and a City on a Hill By Michael P. Winship Harvard University Press, 2012, 340pp.
Questioning Everything: Sextus Empiricus and Skepticism as a Way of Getting Along in a Modern Political Culture
Introduction In 1897, Mary Mill Patrick could write about the relationship between ancient skepticism and “modern” philosophy:
WHAT’S WRONG WITH OCKHAM? Reassessing the Role of Nominalism in the Dissolution of the West
Sample Print Edition Content
- Free Fathers and Sons: The Principle of Love in Turgenev’s Liberalism
- Tradition and the Experience of Citizenship: Political Hermeneutics in Hans-Georg Gadamer, John Dewey, and Hannah Arendt
- Friendship and Politics in No Country for Old Men, Gran Torino, and Up
- Harry Jaffa’s Egalitarian Natural Law
- Michael Oakeshott’s Democratic Voice Review Essay of Michael Minch’s The Democratic Theory of Michael Oakeshott